[ltp] spin-down, hdparm -S, T40p, hitachi hard disk

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:32:28 +0100

Hello,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:46:43PM +0100, Uwe Walter wrote:
> My Hitachi HTS726060M9AT00 seems to ignore the hdparm -S command.
>
> (Fabrice mentions the same at
> http://bellet.info/~bellet/laptop/t40.html#reducing_power_comsumption
> )
>
> Quite a pitty, as it stays in standby mode for quite some time when I
> spin it down manually with hdparm -y (using the laptop mode patches of
> course). :-(

I already observed that the drive not always respects the delay given
with hdparm -S. Sometimes it doesn't sleep at all,  altough no IO occured
during the given delay. I also experienced other cases, on the contrary,
when the drive goes to sleep repeatedly after a few seconds of runtime,
altough the drive is supposed to stay awake.

I assume that the BIOS modifies this paramater behind my back. Or
maybe the smartd daemon also conflicts ?

Best wishes,
--
fabrice