[ltp] T40, 2.6.3 and power mgmt

Justin Mason linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:01:53 -0800

Heiko Rosemann writes:
>On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Justin Mason wrote:
>> >- Hibernate does not work.   Fn-F12 gives me a single low beep and does
>> >  nothing.  I presume I need to get hold of PS2.EXE to set up
>> >  a hibernation file for this before it'll work...
>>
>> This seems like it might be messy. :(
>
>Check out http://samba.org/junkcode/#tphdisk (or google for tphdisk if the
>link I found in my mbox doesn't exist), it's a Linux-tool for creating the
>hibernation file.

Thanks Heiko --

it looks promising, but doesn't seem to be working for some reason;
possibly because I have too much RAM to fit the save2dsk.bin file on
a FAT16 partition.

I resized down my existing partitions, then created a primary partition of
size 550MB (512MB RAM, 32MB for the video RAM, and a bit extra) at end of
disk, just before the predesktop area, of type "Hidden FAT16".  Then:
"mkdosfs /dev/hda8" gave me:

  mkdosfs: Attempting to create a too large file system

as far as I can see, my only option at that point is to use a 32-bit FAT.

"mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hda8" will do that -- and the resulting save2dsk.bin
looks fine.  But after setting that up and rebooting, Fn+F12 just gives me
the usual "boop" noise (which I presume means "cannot hibernate").

Same applies if I create a "hibernate partition" (type A0) or if I
create the save2dsk.bin file on my WinXP FAT32 drive.

However, http://www.capsl.udel.edu/~xwang/blog/2003-11.html and
http://www.codefu.org/weblogs/darkness/archives/000140.html both note that
a save2dsk.bin on a FAT32 partition, or a hibernate partition, *should*
work.  Strange!

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

--j.