[ltp] ThinkPad T40, finding modem in Mandrake 9.2?

Mark Houlder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:40:14 +0000

I have the modem on my T41 working fine, but you have to taint your
kernel with some 3rd party modules (it's a while since i installed it so
can't remember details) before ppp can use it

the package to look for is agrmodem iirc (agr as in Agere), i think
there's a link to it on IBM's site but i couldn't find it just now; it's
a tarball rather than an rpm, but easy enough to install. then just load
the module and away you go (works flawlessly for me with Suse9, so
mandrake should be ok)

i believe other people have also had success with slmodem drivers
(smartlink), but i haven't tried them. from what i've read they're
slightly more work to install, but won't taint your kernel.

(all this is from memory so may be slightly off)

mark

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)