[ltp] Suggested models?

Steve Stavropoulos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 01:07:08 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Anthony Olszewski wrote:

> Are there Thinkpad models that are particularly good for Linux?

 I think most thinkpads work pretty well with linux. I got a T41 (centrino
1.4, radeon 7500), installed fedora core 1 and everything worked great
without any additional setup (xvideo, 3d, sound, suspend/resume, irda,
full power management,...). The only thing that needs to be done by hand
is the loading of speedstep-centrino module to get the speedstep feauture
of the cpu to work (and if you also install cpufreqd you'll be more than
happy). Oh, s-video video out doesn't work, but I hope that issue will be
resolved soon.
 Very importand is the laptop to have apm support. It's the easiest to
setup and provides enough functionality for most people...

> Is one flavor of Linux better than another?

 In regard to hardware support usually the latest distro is the best, with
the exception of Mandrake which likes so much living on the edge that many
times falls off...