[ltp] Running without a battery?

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:29:07 +0100

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:50:24 +0100, Dr. Jason Breitweg wrote:
> I have a a TP240 and just got a new battery for it.  I read somewhere that
> the best way to keep the batteries life long is to charge it fully then
> use it until it is almost fully uncharged and then charge it and so on.

Yes, it's best to keep the number of recharge operations at minimum,
since each time you recharge the battery, it will be closer to it's end
of life.

> Anyway I want to leave this TP running at home and access it from work.
> Of course this would mean leaving it plugged in the whole day.
>
> Is it possible to run without the battery pack in the TP?  Ok, I know it

It do this with my A30 for a year now. I only use the battery when I
travel around or need to carry it to another room after I did suspend
to RAM.

> is possible since I tried it last night, took the battery out and ran with
> the TP plugged in to the AC power.  Is there any reason that this wouldn't
> be a good thing to do?  One thing I did notice is that the fan never came

The only reason for this I noticed on my girlfriend's T20. It will only
run at 550 MHz instead of 700 MHz if it's connected to AC power but no
battery is inserted. Even with the Intel Speedstep applet in Win2000
it's not possible to switch it to 700 MHz in this scenario. However,
since the used T20 had a nearly new battery when I bought it (it will
last nearly 4 hours in Win2000), I thought it was best to take the
battery out whenever it is not realy needed. The worst thing you can do
to a battery is keep it inserted in the notebook. The heat is very bad,
as well as the fact that it will be recharged it's power drops below
97% or so. I've read that the best is to take it out and keep it
charged at 40-80%.

> on when I did this.  I am not sure if this is a problem or if the TP
> didn't think it needed the fan (which is strange since I was compiling a
> bunch of software as well).

Maybe it runs in power safe mode without a battery inserted, like
described with the T20 above. This will result in less heat so the fan
has nothing to do. But this is just a guess.

Regards,
Tino