[ltp] Running without a battery?

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:53:15 +0100

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:11:32 +0100 Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:12:54AM +0100, Michael Hagemann wrote:
> > BTW, the right way to treat a battery depends very much on the type of
> > battery you are using.  If you have Li-Ion batteries, you should not
> > uncharge them fully (except for the first 2 or 3 times) and not shelve
> > them fully charged.  But your TP240 probably has NiMH ones.
>
> I thought you werent supposted to shelve them uncharged, due to
> internal short-circuiting / polarity inversion, but why not shelve
> them fully charged?

I know two articles on the net, that seem fairly authoritative and
reasonable.  They are from the same author, though:

http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap10-page6.asp
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

To quote one:

  "The speed by which lithium-ion ages is governed by temperature and
state-of-charge.  [...]   If possible, store the battery in a cool place
at about a 40% state-of-charge.  Some reserve charge is needed to keep
the battery and its protection circuit operational during prolonged
storage."