[ltp] Stable Linux OS

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:28:42 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Matt Graham wrote:

> On Friday 16 January 2004 22:59, after a long battle with technology,
> kutch ariola wrote:
> > Can any one from the circle consult me what OS to install to my
> > ThinkPad R40 2722-3DG? I'm used to Slackware, Redhat and Mandrake
> > Linux.

> http://www.freedos.org/jhall/tp-r40/ , among other search results when
> you Google "linux thinkpad r40", says that Redhat 9 or Mandrake 9.1
> works pretty well.

I'll sugest the newer versions of the distributions - Fedora Core 1
(instead of RHL-9) or mandrake 9.2 (instead of 9.1.)

I use Fedora Core 1 on a T40 - and know - XFree86 that comes with it
has pretty good support for most ATI cards (except for the latest ones
that come with r50p/t41p). Also It has laptop_mode off the bat - and
APM works reasonably well (and speedstep on the pentium-m - with a
little tweaking).

Some have claimed that the R series has ACPI only - but no APM. If
that is the case - then there might be isues with Fedora and power
management.

Satish