[ltp] Q: Sound recording, A21m and Caldera 2.4

Robert Hueckstedt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:44:19 +0100

I have an IBM ThinkPad A21m that came with Caldera Open Linux 2.4 preloaded. That means the Linux kernel is 2.2.14. It has both KDE and Gnome. When I enquired about the sound card while in KDE the response I received was that the driver was loaded as a module. The description was OSS/Free: 3.8s 2++-971130.

Neither in krecorder in KDE nor in the analogous program under Gnome am I able to record sound from a microphone. (This TP comes with a built-in microphone, but I am using one that I plug into the mike jack. And yes, that mike works on another machine. So, the mike itself is not the problem.)

Sound production itself is fine; my only problem is being unable to record sound.

If you are able to suggest a solution, please bear in mind that I am little more than a newbie with Linux.

Gratefully,
Bob Hueckstedt