[ltp] 600E and 2.6.1...

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 07:56:18 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Michael Hagemann wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:06:14 -0800 Dan Sawyer wrote:
>
> > Can a 2.6.1 be compiled and installed on a FC1 based system??
>
> Yes.  You need the latest versions of some of the core utilities, but
> otherwise the transition is quite smooth.  Here are two links I found
> when I was upgrading:
>
> http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html
> http://www.phildev.net/linux/linux-2.6-notes.html

If you'd rather not compile your own kernel - check out
http://fedoranews.org/jorge/howto/howto01.shtml

Also, rawhide/development has a different version of 2.6 kernel.
Eventually rajanv -> RHEL ; rawhide -> FC2.

I guess either of them (with proper dependent packages) can
be installed with yum.

I have a 600E upgraded to rawhide using yum - but I still run FC1 2.4
kernel on it (as 2.6 boots - but I didn't change any config to make it
more suitable)

Satish