[ltp] 600E and 2.6.1...

Dan Sawyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:30:50 -0800

--------------030701050206040002060305

Satish,

Thanks so much. I have started to look into them.

Regards,
Dan

Satish Balay wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Michael Hagemann wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:06:14 -0800 Dan Sawyer wrote:
>>

>>>Can a 2.6.1 be compiled and installed on a FC1 based system??
>>>

>>Yes.  You need the latest versions of some of the core utilities, but
>>otherwise the transition is quite smooth.  Here are two links I found
>>when I was upgrading:
>>
>>http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html
>>http://www.phildev.net/linux/linux-2.6-notes.html
>>

>If you'd rather not compile your own kernel - check out
>http://fedoranews.org/jorge/howto/howto01.shtml
>
>Also, rawhide/development has a different version of 2.6 kernel.
>Eventually rajanv -> RHEL ; rawhide -> FC2.
>
>I guess either of them (with proper dependent packages) can
>be installed with yum.
>
>I have a 600E upgraded to rawhide using yum - but I still run FC1 2.4
>kernel on it (as 2.6 boots - but I didn't change any config to make it
>more suitable)
>
>Satish

--------------030701050206040002060305

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Satish,<br>
Thanks so much. I have started to look into them.<br>
Regards,<br>
Dan <br>
Satish Balay wrote:<br>
 cite="midPine.LNX.4.58.0401230746170.32279@localhost.localdomain">
  <pre wrap="">
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Michael Hagemann wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:06:14 -0800 Dan Sawyer wrote:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Can a 2.6.1 be compiled and installed on a FC1 based system??
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Yes.  You need the latest versions of some of the core utilities, but
otherwise the transition is quite smooth.  Here are two links I found
when I was upgrading:

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html">http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.phildev.net/linux/linux-2.6-notes.html">http://www.phildev.net/linux/linux-2.6-notes.html</a>
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->

If you'd rather not compile your own kernel - check out
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://fedoranews.org/jorge/howto/howto01.shtml">http://fedoranews.org/jorge/howto/howto01.shtml</a>

Also, rawhide/development has a different version of 2.6 kernel.
Eventually rajanv -&gt; RHEL ; rawhide -&gt; FC2.