[ltp] R40e SuSE 8.2 lost network

Mark Houlder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:55:50 +0000

you could try opening Yast2, going to network devices and deleting the
card in the setup panel. save that and exit, then go back in and add it
in again - that should wipe any problematic settings (unless your card
wasn't auto-detected when you installed suse in which case it might be
more trouble than it's worth, but i've never had a problem with ethernet
for 8.1/8.2/9.0 on several different computers, so it should be ok).

also check that the 'network' tasks are running in the runlevel editor -
iirc the dhcp client is one of the processes that depends on that.
another thing to note is that there are two choices of dhcp client in
suse8.2, i forget what the alternative is but it's detailed in
susehelpcenter, would be worth a shot if all else fails.

suse9 is an improvement over 8.2, but not by much; from what i can see
the network setup is exactly the same so unless there are changes under
the hood i wouldn't bother. you could see if there are any online
updates for the network packages on the suse site, though.

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)