[ltp] Which wireless network card?

Evan Leibovitch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:40:08 -0800

I recently took delivery of an X31, model 2672-PBU, which comes with the
Intel wireless card.

I am aware of the Centrino issues, and am trying to determine the best
strategy for running this system under Linux (Mandrake 9.2).

Apparently my choices are:

1) Do nothing, use Windows for wireless, and wait for the Intel Linux driver

2) Get the $20 Linuxant solution for using the Windows driver under Linux

3) Get the open source NDISwrapper package to use the Windows driver
under Linux

4) Spend $85 on the IBM a/b/g replacement card (part 31P9701) which uses
the Atheros chipset and is supported under Linux by the "madwifi" driver.
(Some people on this list seem to have had some problems with this card)

Any experiences or suggestions on the best approach are greatly appreciated, even if
it's not one of the above options.

- Evan