[ltp] Which wireless network card?

Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:38:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> 4) Spend $85 on the IBM a/b/g replacement card (part 31P9701) which uses
> the Atheros chipset and is supported under Linux by the "madwifi" driver.
> (Some people on this list seem to have had some problems with this card)

I can confirm that the IBM a/b/g card works fine (at least in b/g, no
a to test) with the madwifi drivers from CVS (easy to do).  You might
be remembering my earlier reservations on this list, but it's very
stable now.

Also confirm as someone else noted that Fabrice Bellet's airo_mpi
driver for the 802.11b Cisco card is also very stable now, so that's
another option.  Strangely, it seemed to be more expensive than the
a/b/g when I last looked.  Pro: in my experience it has much better
range than the IBM a/b/g; Con: b only.