[ltp] Refurbing a TP600e 21645-5JU for Knoppix/Linux

Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:11:18 -0400

On 2 Jul 2004, at 18:47, wes schreiner wrote:

> 600E maxed out at 400MHz, not enough of a upgrade from 366MHz to
> bother with, in my opinion.  You would have to source the 400MHz cpu
> board and then swap it in.

I was aware of the 400MHz option, I should have specified that I was
looking at using something other than that that was a similar MMC2 CPU
module. Its not a real priority and is more some thing that might happen
should I run into the right opportunity.

> That will be tough, the case is relatively soft plastic so it
> scratches pretty easily.  I think the best you can do is remove the
> grime with any mild household cleaner and just live with the scratches
> (or cover them up with stickers).

The scratches is what I was looking to refurb/refinish some how. I may get
some artsy student/person to paint some kind of logo or something on it
like some of those new desktops are getting.

> Nope, never any internal ethernet.  I recommend a 32-bit PCCard

I've got a box full of PCMCIA net cards, I was just looking to save a card
slot if I could.

>  I have the SelectaBase 600 port replicator, 12J2467.  It has ports
> for PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse, USB, VGA video, power, external floppy,
> serial, joystick/MIDI, and parallel (and all work with Linux).

I've found one of these at a deal, and probably will get it to have for the price
and its needed to use the below SelectaDock's.

> also has an expansion port for an add-on that provides two more PCCard
> slots, but I have no experience with that.  It can also connect to a
> larger base that has at least one PCI slot and more drive expansion,
> but I'm not familiar with that at all.

Thats what started spinning my head SelectaDock I, II, III. They could have
a use to leave it at the office, if I nailed it down, for some things.

> Some models have this, some don't.  It isn't too hard to install if
> you can source the part.

I've seen a few show up on EBay, and it could possibly have a use, and for
the cost I may add it.

> >2) MWave Modem
> It's already in there, you just have to set it up.

Not in mine, my 2645-5JU doesn't have the MWave modem in it, and never
did for the original owner. I have a V.90 card modem to use with it, but
again was looking to save the card slot for other things if I needed the slot.

I have a LAN at home, and mobile access to the net will be either via serial
to a cell phone doing 14.4K data ala "QNC" or 1XRTT data mode of a cell
phone or 802.11b PC card. The QNC/1XRTT modes will be used at work
since I don't want to connect to their network and have to follow their net
access policy. My PC, MY connection, MY RULES.

> >5) External UltraBay
> Only available in the full dock.

Portable External Ultra Slimbay #37L1511

> Keep your project in perspective, remember that this is a five year
> old laptop now.  I assembled mine two years ago and have gotten a lot
> of use out of it, but as my desire for a faster CPU, more RAM, and
> USB2 grows I will eventually have to replace it.  But if you can live

Compared to my 2 other laptops which are pokey P5 133MHz with minimal
ram, and an ancient 486SX the P2 366MHz in the 2645-5JU is a speed
demon.

I too would love to have a 1GHz or more 512MB laptop with DVD-R/RW/CD-
R/RW drive and 40GB. Its just not in the cards right now. I don't mind
putting some $$$ into a laptop that cost me nothing to get a decent
useable laptop that will do what I need it to do.

Web browsing, email, word processing,  web page creation etc. are the
tasks destined for this laptop. Also I am forcing my self to have to deal
100% with Linux on a daily basis and improve my Linux skills. Its also a
means to get a piece of proprietary  wimpsleaze software to run under
WINE. This is more of crusade as the software is crap and I just want to
see it die or at least quit paying huge licensing fees for wimpsleaze
licenses and get Linux and out of the box thinking going....but I digress.

> within its speed and memory limitations, and don't smash it out of
> frustration while setting it up (especially sound and modem), then the
> 600E will serve as a fine Linux laptop.

Sound already tested with the Knoppix V3.4 live CD. Its a simple thing to
get setup. Why the detection picks the wrong card I don't know, but I've had
everything working under the Live CD. As soon as I get the time to
partimage the drive up for back up it will be reformated to Ext3 and Knoppix
HD installed.