[ltp] Trying to boot X31 (2672-C8G) from USB-Stick

Nick Lidakis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 03 Jul 2004 20:40:16 -0500

toens.bueker@lists0903.nurfuerspam.neuroserve.de wrote:

>Hi *,
>
>as my BIOS lists a "USB Mass Storage Drive 2" when a usb
>memory stick is inserted in one of the two usb ports of my
>X31, I supposed, that it should be possible to boot from
>usb stick.
>
>But I wasn't quite successful. I have verified, that the
>usb stick is read during startup - at least the error
>messages differ whether I use superfloppy ("Boot failed") or hard-disk
>format ("MBR Boot failed"). Even "GRUB" is shown on the screen, after I
>installed grub on the usb stick.
>
>I tried SPB-Linux (http://www.8ung.at/spblinux/) on the
>stick but the kernel was not booted.
>
>Can anybody give me a hint how to proceed? What is needed
>to not only read from the stick during startup but boot a
>kernel from it?
>
>Thx.
>
>by
>Töns

I had a similar problem when I tried installing feather linux for a
friend on his Lexar jumpdrive.

This is from the feather linux website, but I think will work with
whateve distro your trying to boot:

"

First, download the latest version of Feather Linux USB edition. You
should now have a file called feather-0.x.x-usb.zip
<http://feather-0.x.x-usb.zip/>, where 0.x.x is the current version.
Unzip that file to your USB drive – you can do this in Linux using the
unzip command, or using Winzip in Windows.

Then run syslinux, which will install the bootloader needed for Feather
Linux to be able to boot from the USB drive. Syslinux can be downloaded
from kernel.org <http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/>,
and you can find out more about it at http://syslinux.zytor.com.
<http://syslinux.zytor.com/> Under Linux, you would type:
syslinux /dev/sda1
if your USB drive is usually found at /dev/sda1, and in Windows type:
syslinux E:
if your USB drive is found at E:. That should make your USB drive
bootable, and now you can run Feather Linux.

If this doesn't work, try downloading the Debian “mbr” package and using
that to install an MBR on the USB drive (this will delete everything on
your USB drive!) . Then create a vfat filesystem (use mkdosfs /dev/sda1)
and follow the above instructions."

I had to follow the last set of instructions first, then my Thinkpad X22
BIOS would boot the jump drive.

Hope this helps