[ltp] any experience with xine?

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:23:39 -0400

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:11:10 +0200 (CEST)
Edith Gruber <edithgruber@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi there,

> I would like to know if the mediaplayer xine works
> well on a T21 PIII
> 800Mhz, 128 MB RAM with 8xDVD. Is the processor fast
> enough and is the RAM
> sufficent for it? Has anyone made good experiences
> with that?

I've used Xine with a 366 MHz PII with no real problems (you don't get
every frame on this hardware, but it's quite usable). For playing
Video CD, I've used a 233 MHz Pentium MMX machine with 96M.

However, I find the Xine's interface to be incredibly clunky. Ogle is
a lot cleaner, and it just works better for DVD playback.

Upping the RAM will help you on EVERYTHING.  Always stuff as much RAM as
possible into a Thinkpad. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/