[ltp] Re: Installation/configuration of PCMCIA Fax/Modem Card for ThinkPad X21

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:48:58 +1000

On 8 Jul 2004, nut megger wrote:
> Hardware: ThinkPad X21 with UltraBay; newly obtained
> PCMCIA fax/modem card to use to dial up my ISP.
>
> Question: Should the fax/modem card be inserted first and then a new
> Linux installation performed or should the card be inserted while
> Linux is running and it will be recognized so that it can be
> configured for use?

Unless you need to use the card to dial the Internet during installation
it *should* make no real difference.

That said, if the card is in place during the install there is a
reasonable chance that the installer will pick it up and install
appropriate software automatically, and it certainly causes no actual
harm.

> Question: Any fax/modem card configuration suggestions or is it
> automatic?

Again, it *should* be automatic if you have the PCMCIA 'cardmgr' package
installed[1], as long as it is supported under Linux.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I don't know what that is called for Mandrake, which I presume is
     your distribution of choice, but 'pcmcia support' or 'cardmgr' is
     what you need.

--
Sanely applied advertising could remake the world.
        -- Stuart Chase