[ltp] Re: IR-DRIVER-TINY-HOWTO (Linux IrDA on a ThinkPad)]

Phil Stopford linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:53:33 +0100

Tino Keitel wrote:

>If you want to use the irport driver, you have to take away the
>resources from the serial driver:
>
>setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none port 0 irq 0
>
>and load the irport module after this, or use a kernel with the serial
>driver as a module and load the irport driver before the serial driver
>(should work, but not tested by myself).
>
>If you want to use the serial driver, you can not use irport, but irtty
>will work (this incorporates with the serial driver to access the IrDA
>hardware).
>
>Here is what I do to start IrDA:
>
>setserial /dev/tts/1 uart none port 0 irq 0
>modprobe irda
>modprobe nsc-ircc
>irattach irda0 -s
>
>If nsc-ircc doesn't work for you (this is the Fast-IR driver for my
>A30), just try irport.
>
>Regards,
>Tino

You are great! It took a little massaging of the SuSE setup, but IR is
now working. I've documented the eventual process based on some material
I found elsewhere on the web (I mentioned the URL in my original post,
but have forgotten it just at the moment) and uploaded it to the web for
reference : http://ldex.terica.net/thinkpad-linux.html

I've never seen reference to setting port and irq as 0, but it seems to
do the job. :)

Still to get it talking to the mobile, but that's a challenge I'll enjoy.

Sound across APM is still not correct, but that's less important.

Phil.