[ltp] GRUB Geom Error after new installation of Suse 9.1

Weeze linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:21:45 -0400

A June 2004 question never was resolved as far as I can tell. I have
exactly the same problem with a new T40 ThinkPad and a new installation
of Suse 9.1. The original Windows XP is still on the harddrive, because
I can see all of the files in the Windows "drive" in "My Computer" in
the KDE Desktop. But I cannot boot to Windows XP and the Access IBM
Recovery failed. I can boot to my new Suse 9.1 with Installation CD1 by
selecting Manual Installation and Install/Update, then Boot from
Installed system. But if I boot without the CD, I can ONLY get up to the
GRUB Geom Error screen.

Orignal question in the message queue for GRUB GEom Error
I am trying Linux for the first time, Suse 9.1 personal on my T40 237319G .
I installed from the CD using default options (except for changing the
keyboard layout).
I never touched the IBM hidden partition.
After the install, when trying to boot, the system hangs with 'GRUB Geom
Error'.

Did anyone find a way to solve the problem ?
Louise Slade
sladel@optonline.net