[ltp] thinkpad R51: acpi, suspend, touchpad trouble

Frank Dekervel|Smartlounge| linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:44:38 +0200

hello,

i recently installed linux on a thinkpad R51 (debian unstable) and most of the
things seem to work fine. the intel pro/wireless card is supported by the
ipw2100 driver. i use the opensource radeon driver (knoppix did it that way,
and i copied the XF86config from knoppix)
however, some things seem not to be right yet:

- acpi suspend (S3) does not seem to work. when usb is loaded, it refuses to
suspend (could not suspend device <device ID of my usb controller>), and when
i unload it, it suspends, but resuming makes the machine crash: i get some
PCI warnings, and then "ipw2100 using hotplug for firmware reload", and then
nothing anymore. even when i do /etc/init.d/hotplug stop before suspending,
nothing works. S1 immediately comes back after sleeping, so there is no way to
suspend for me currently. i also tried to unload the wlan driver

i tried booting with noacpi, and apm suspend seems to work, a little bit.
something goes wrong suspending or resuming, like the harddisk refuses to
work after resume, or the ethernet card, or suspending crashes. also,
speedstep_centrino seems to need acpi.

- the touch pad and the nipple are very sensitive, almost unusable for me.
acceleration is 1, and Resolution in XF86Config does not seem to make any
difference ...

- the fan is always on when in linux, and battery life is significantly less
than when booted in windows .. /proc/acpi/fan is empty

somebody has any hints ?

i use kernel 2.6.7 vanilla and xf86 4.3 , and the thinkpad modules are loaded

thanks,
greetings,
frank