[ltp] Can't mount /mnt/cdrom

Greg Matheson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:49:53 +0800

What does this error message from trying to mount the cdrom drive
in an UltraBay2000 on an A21e ThinkPad mean?

	hdb: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
	hdb: packet command error: error=0x54
	ATAPI device hdb:
	Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
	Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)
	The failed "Start/Stop Unit" packet command was:
	"1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
	cdrom: open failed.

This is the error message as written to /var/log/messages by
the kernel when I try to run 'mount /mnt/cdrom'.

At the command line, I see the same message twice, probably
written to /dev/console, but the message ends,
	mount: No medium found
rather than
	cdrom: open failed

If it is a Linux driver problem, it survived an upgrade from
RedHat 9 to Fedora Core 1.

I don't think it is a Linux driver problem, because I can't
access the CDROM drive when I boot up Windows 98 either, Explorer
telling me the D: drive is not ready.

The floppy drive that sits in the UltraBay is giving me no
problems on either Linux or Windows.

The above message doesn't suggest, however, that it is a
hardware problem.

Here's the relevant part of the boot-time message:

	Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00
	beta4-2.4
	ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes
	; override with idebus=xx
	PIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:07.1
	PIIX4: chipset revision 0
	PIIX4: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
	ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1880-0x1887, BIOS settings:
	hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
	hda: IBM-DJSA-220, ATA DISK drive
	hdb: LG CD-ROM CRN-8245B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
	blk: queue c040cfc0, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffff
	fff)
	ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
	hda: attached ide-disk driver.
	hda: host protected area => 1
	hda: 39070080 sectors (20004 MB) w/1874KiB Cache,
	HS=2584/240/63, UDMA(33)
	Partition check:
	 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 >
	ide: late registration of driver.
	md: md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS= 27
	md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
	md: autorun ...
	md: ... autorun DONE.
	Initializing Cryptographic API
	NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0

Is that line, 'ide: late registration of driver.' about hdb, the CD-ROM
drive?

Actually I don't hear any whirring of the CD either at boot time or
when I run mount.

I first started having problems after booting Knoppix from
a CD-ROM, but that could just be because I wasn't using the drive
much before that.

I wondered if it was a BIOS problem, with some program rewriting
it, but I couldn't see anything there suggesting it was.

I now have to decide what to do next. I think my best bet is to
use the IBM recovery disk to reinstall Windows 98 and see if that
has any effect.

[But wait, that requires the CD-ROM drive!]

If it doesn't, I will try reinstalling Fedora Core 1 or 2 over the network.

If that doesn't help, I will have to conclude that it is a
hardware problem.

--
Greg Matheson, Taiwan