[ltp] Can't mount /mnt/cdrom

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:51:46 -0400

Greg Matheson wrote:

>What does this error message from trying to mount the cdrom drive
>in an UltraBay2000 on an A21e ThinkPad mean?
>
>	hdb: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>	hdb: packet command error: error=0x54
>	ATAPI device hdb:
>	Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
>	Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)
>	The failed "Start/Stop Unit" packet command was:
>	"1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
>	cdrom: open failed.

Mmmm, 'DriveReady SeekComplete Error' on Linux systems has in my
experience always translated to 'the drive is porked', though sometimes
hard drives intermittently report this type of error and yet seem to go
on working for a considerable period of time. I'd see if I could find
someone with another similar drive you can test. Especially considering
that other devices work fine in the same bay AND the problem is
encountered in Windows as well (not that XP is much of a test platform
for hardware, but...) I'd be about 90% sure its a hardware problem.