[ltp] 2 Computer Simple Network

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:14:14 -0400

On Saturday 17 July 2004 12:28, Matt Graham wrote:
> On Saturday 17 July 2004 11:56, after a long battle with technology,

> > The hub could easely be replaced with a fire wall
>
> ?  No, it couldn't.  You mean "I could do something like this:"
>
> DSL line<-->Firewall<-->Hub<-->machine 1
>                          ^\--->machine 2
>
>  ...get your terminology right.  The Networking HOWTO and Ethernet HOWTO
> on http://tldp.org/ are decent places to start.

Well currently one can buy for about $60 a firewall that contains a 6 port hub
or switch [you may configure them as either] as you described above.

By the way they say they are firewalls on the box.

Sorry, I guess in that I just assumed that everybody knew this.

Also, the hub I am currently using for this is 5 or 6 years old but it seems
to be doing the job well so far.

The issue with firewall/hub/switch was raised as I am not sure if I need fixed
addressing or not and I am not sure if a firewall would solve the issue.

Thanks
Frank