[ltp] R40 with IBM a/b/g WLAN adapter (Atheros chipset) and Fedora Core 2

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 04:34:03 +0000

I got this to work on the first try.  I wouldn't rely on Kudzu (in fact,
I'd just remove it from your startup).
Try to issue the following from a command line (root):

# modprobe wlan
# modprobe ath_hal
# modprobe ath_pci

If you have no problem issuing these commands, you should be able to see
your interface if you issue iwconfig as root.

# iwconfig

Then you should be able to manually configure.  Don't expect to be able
to use the Network configuration GUI in Fedora, just use a shell
script.  I've attached mine below.  It's written to be used at startup,
so you can just edit it with your own preferences.  For more info on
iwconfig and ifconfig options, see the man page for them.  You can add
the script to your startup by issuing:

# chkconfig --add ath0

Also, to add ath0 permanently, edit your /etc/modprobe.conf and add the
following line:

alias eth1 ath_pci

Cheers,
James

----------- SHELL SCRIPT BELOW -------------

#!/bin/sh
#
# wlan  This shell script takes care of starting the
#               wireless interface.
#