[ltp] After FC2-Update: SmartLink-Modem-Driver

Chris Street linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:03:17 +0100

I have EXACTLY the same problem - worked well on 2.4, not 2.6, and I have spent quite a bit of time on it...

I wrote to the developer of the slmodem software, who said that it was never really intended to support the (Agere) modem on the R40e, but had put the necessary code in because some people reported success (I suppose with a 2.4 kernel).

Bottom line is, I am pretty sure slmodem will not work with kernel 2.6 and the R40e. The developers plan is to eventually incorporate it into the alsa driver when time permits.

I also tried several other drivers with no success.

Probably the best thing to do is to have a 2.4 kernel to boot to when you need the modem, or as I do, use a PCMCIA modem when I am on the road...

Unless somebody out there knows differently or wants to code for the alsa driver - beyond my programming 'skills' I am afraid : )

Chris

--
Chris Street
chris@showerail.com