[ltp] X21 Ultrabay Serial port (ttyS0) connected to External Modem - No response

nut megger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 05:46:28 -0700 (PDT)

I have a thinkpad x21 (plenty of speed, memory and
disk space) with an ultrabay. I have connected an
external modem to the ultrabay (serial port ttyS0) and
then tried to configure a modem network device to use
with fedora core 2. /dev/modem points properly to
/dev/ttyS0, where the modem is plugged in.

Fedora core 2 does recognize devices on the ultrabay,
such at the mouse port, diskette drive and CD-RW
drive.

However, no matter which serial device address I
select to activate for the modem (ttyS0, etc…), I get
a hang, then an error, like error 6 or error 7, or
just a hang until I hit cancel. I have no idea what
the error means and the system cannot activate the
modem device on the selected serial device.

[I know that once activated, I can use "modem lights"
to dial up to my ISP. And yes, the modem is on, and
has been tested successfully on a Sun UltraSpark
Workstion running Aurora Linux (a flavor of Redhat
7.3)]

I tried the following commands at the command prompt:
# echo atz > /dev/ttyS0
# echo atdt 6175551212 > /dev/ttyS0

I got NO response at all. Not even a tingle on the
modem.

I know it is on ttyS0, but I also tried ttyS1, ttyS2
and ttyS3. Still no response.

Any suggestions for activating the modem on the COM1
(ttyS0) port of the untrabay for the ThinkPad X21?
Preferably using GNOME, not command line instructions.

Every other device in the ultrabay (RW-CD, diskette,
USB devices) works fine. In fact, even the USB ports
work fine.

Mandrake 10.0 Gnome does not find the modem on ttyS0.
Redhat 9.0 does not find the modem on ttyS0.  Back to
Fedora Core 2.

Don't tell me I acquired a nice cheap X21 with an
ultrabay that can't use Linux to dial through Gnome :(

Thanks!