[ltp] Linux on 600E

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:12:46 -0700

On Thursday 24 June 2004 10:31 am, Ron wrote:
> Bruce, Thanks foe the come back. I have not been looking at the list long.
> I am new to this. I have a 400 meg 600E. I got lindows 4.5, there newest. I
> don't know what kernal it is based on.
>
> Is there not an "install" that is common to all linux?
>
> I have been to IBM but not found the linux drivers. But even with them, I
> still do not know how to install them. I don't have ANY docs.
>
> Lindows loaded like a breze. About 15 min. It found and started fine but
> for the modem and sound.
>
> So to be specific, I need the frivers and to know how to install things.

Hi Ron,

Lindows is basically Debian Linux with a friendly face. You can use apt-get to
update Lindows just like Debian...you don't need to rely on click-and-run.

The ultimate source for Debian Linux on Thinkpad information is here:

http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm

I think that Thomas Hood even posts to this list.

The 600 series is perhaps the best ThinkPad in existence for Linux, save for
the new ThinkPads that are being built with Linux as well as Windows in mind.

One thing you definitely can do is turn off "Quick Boot" from the setup
screen. Hold down F1 while turning your ThinkPad on and then keep F1 held
down until you get to the setup. "Quick Boot" assumes that Windows is running
on the ThinkPad and can interfere with allowing the OS to detect
plug-and-play equipment. "Quick Boot" is useless under Linux.  It interferes
with proper function of sound under Linux, for example.

Hope this helps,
Michelle
--
Michelle Klein-Hass