[ltp] pre-installation advice?

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:24:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 sltp@rhythm.cx wrote:

> Hi everyone. I ordered a T40 today, should be here sometime next week. I
> plan on dual booting the shipped XP Pro and SuSE 9.1. With that in mind,
> before booting the laptop for the first time, is there anything I should
> know? Would it be best to resize the NTFS partition before booting into XP
> for the first time, or does it not matter?
>
> Also, do Thinkpads usually come with some kind of recovery/reimage CD or
> DVD, or is that on a hard disk partition somewhere, or do I have to order
> one separately?

Call IBM and ask for recovery disks. They'll mail it (within 1 month
of purchase in US)

Then - you can disable the Recovery Partition in BIOS - and
re-partition the disk.  Now using the recovery CDs - you can restore
WinXP in one of the partitions.

Alternatively you could use other partitioning tools. I've used
partition magic - to repartiton - after booting into XP..

Satish