[ltp] Thinkpad and the pilot

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:25:10 +0300

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:31:55PM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
> Will me T20's /dev/pilot be /dev/ttys0 ? Doesn't seem so !?

I think it should be /dev/ttyS0 (with a capital 'S').

> any other palm pilot tips ? how 'bout the IR ?
> anyone had success with that ?

I've had success hotsyncing my Tungsten T over IrDA to my T23.  Here's
what I had to do:

  1. flash the BIOS to a newer version, because otherwise I couldn't
     perform step 2

  2. enable IrDA in the BIOS (the older BIOS had a bug -- the IrDA
     setting would keep reverting to "OS controlled" on every boot),
     set the IO port to 0x2F8 and IRQ to 3.

  3. add the following to /etc/modules.conf (actually, since I use
     Debian, I had to add that to /etc/modutils/local and run
     update-modules):

       alias irda0 nsc-ircc
       options nsc-ircc dongle_id=3D0x09 io=3D0x2f8 irq=3D3
       pre-install nsc-ircc setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none port 0 irq 0

  4. run "irattach irda0" on boot (on Debian you apt-get install
     irda-tools and edit /etc/irda.conf)

If you echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/irda/discovery, and place your palm next
to the IrDA port, after a few minutes the palm should be discovered and
listed in the same proc file.

Then you can use pilot-xfer -p /dev/ircomm0 to hotsync.

Beaming things with the OBEX protocol is also possible, but more
difficult and less convenient.  Debian package openobex-apps has a
program called irobex_palm3 that can do that.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Hanlon's Razor:
        Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained
        by stupidity.

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4--