[ltp] Linux but not Thinkpad newbie with q's.

Vicky Lamburn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:51:47 +0100

Hiya,

I am writing this email at last from Mozilla Thunderbird on Xandros
2.0.  I finally ditched XP to replace my ThinkPad T23 with Linux; of
which I am a lot more pleased with (as I expected) and it has overall
gone very well compared to my abortive attempts with NetBSD on the Amiga
some time around the mid-late 90s...

I have pretty much sussed most things out, such as getting DVDs to play
(easy peasy), installing software (notably Firefox and Thunderbird which
I am used to), setting up APM instead of ACPI etc.; I'm not a newbie to
ThinkPads or computing; just Linux!

My query relates to DVDs and S-Video output via the S3
SuperSavage/IXC16's TV output.  I found S3Switch easy enough and issued
a s3switch tv command in the console (bash) and sure enough my telly
showed the screen (best in 640x480 and 800x600 unsurprisingly).  I can
live with no having the LCD on at the same time; however something
disconcerting has come to mind.

I have tried this with Ogle-MMX w/GUI and Xine with libdvdcss installed
and all the rest of it (dependencies met basically) and whenever
outputting the video on TV, the output is badly scrambled, and a big
blue border on 640x480 and smaller on 800x600 - it almost looks like an
overlay image not centered properly (this happens in window and full
screen (ctrl+f in ogle) modes).

I am using Xandros' default S3 Savage driver, no changes made yet.  Also
the output seems to be NTSC which is annoying since I am in the UK and
need PAL and it seems S3Switch does not support PAL output on Savage
chips other than Savage3D chips.

I have searched high and low via google, to no avail :(  I have tried
pressing Fn+F7/F8 to see if it helps, not at all.  The scrambled look
sometimes occurs on the LCD but no often.  I read there was an issue
with X11 refreshing?

I have tried it in 16/24bit colour depths on VGA/SVGA and XGA resolutions.

My t23 is 1GB RAM, 40GB HD, 1.13GHz PIII-m, DVD-ROM and all the usual
(XGA display, soon to be SXGA+ if I get my way ;)).

Any experience would be appreciated as I don't want to have to have a
NTFS partition for WinXP just for PowerDVD (though I do like PowerDVD
all told).

Is this a video driver issue?

Many thanks,
Ms. Victoria Lamburn