[ltp] Help! Strange problems after adding 1GB memory

Carl Klitscher linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 15:10:47 +1300

Not that this is a proper fix but... a recompile without PCMCIA support may
make things go a bit faster...

A colleague has seen the same symptoms and dropping pcmcia cured it. If you
need pcmcia then this isn't a fix but it will possibly give you some time
to sort out what the real problem is. Unfortunately he had to give back the
memory stick before we could work out what the real problem was though.

Carl

Hey folks --

I just added a 1GB memory chip to my Thinkpad t40p (for a total of
1.5GB) but I can't seem to get things working right.  I did recompile
the kernel with highmem support, and cat /proc/meminfo shows the right
amount of memory.  However, when I start X, the keyboard responds very
slowly and there was a constant beeping (the beep you get when a pc card
is inserted) and these messages in the kernel log:

Mar  8 20:20:47 doolittle kernel: cs: socket f7b58000 timed out during
reset.  Try increasing setup_delay.

It stops when I quit X.  And if I remove the new memory and boot the
same kernel, everything is back to normal.

Anyone have any ideas what I can try?  This is on Debian unstable
2.4.25.  Do you think this is kernel related or possibly XFree86 related?

thanks for any help!

cheers,
-steve