[ltp] X2x dri/opengl performance

Mcleod A linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:04:27 -0500

Hello,

Lately I've been finding that the tp240 that I picked up
last summer underestimated my requirements for computing
power.  I figured that I would mostly be web surfing /
emailing from the system.

Now I'm finding that I would like to be watching DVD's, cut
my compiling times, and be able to run opengl programs. I
think that one of the X2x series of thinkpad with the
Mobile Radeon and a 700+ processor will be sufficient to
get me through until I build a new desktop system in the
fall with up to date processors and graphics cards.  My
main concern is the Mobile Radeon performance with DRI, or
the XIG xserver.  I want to be able to play Tux racer,
quake 1/2, etc with resonable performance.  There will
probably be other opengl programs I will want to try, but I
think those are the main ones.

What I'm looking for is:
Does anyone on the list have an X2x laptop with DRI or XIG
running on it, and
How is the performance, what 3d do you run on it, and how
does it run?

I want to make sure I buy my next laptop right, because I
don't want to buy too small and be doing this again in 6
months.

Thanks,

Adam.