[ltp] External Monitor revisited...

Daniel Jimenez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:33:51 -0600

Hi all--

I'm having some really annoying issues with my Thinkpad T41p.

I'm trying to work on an external monitor. I have a number of problems
but they go in this order.

1- When I boot up with the laptop closed, the bios, grub, and everything
show up on the external monitor (CRT) just fine. When the framebuffer
kicks in both monitors are black unless I hit FN+f7 on my laptop.
Pressing FN+F7 switches to my LCD and pressing it again does nothing.

My Question: How can I tell the kernel to display on the CRT when it's
plugged in?

----------

2- Starting X, if I start X using the open source radeon driver it
switches over to my CRT. It puts the LCD in 1400x1050 with a virtual
desktop of 1600x1200. My CRT shows 1600x1200.

This is a good thing, except that I can't see anything on the CRT until
I start X and X runs on my CRT with 1600x1200 @ 50hz. 50hz REALLY hurts
my eyes.

I tried using xrandr to change to 75hz but I get this:

Code:
djimenez@calculon djimenez $ xrandr --size 12/1600x1200 --rate 75
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
   Major opcode of failed request:  156 (RANDR)
   Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (RRSetScreenConfig)
   Value in failed request:  0x4b
   Serial number of failed request:  12

My question: How I can tell X that I have an external monitor plugged in
and to set it's refresh rate to 75 hz?

My video card is an ATI Radeon Mobility 9000.

Using the ATI binary drivers (fglrx) I could get nothing on my external
monitor. Even though in fglrxconfig I specified laptop mode (which says
it lets you switch between the two).

Any tips?

Thank you so much for your help,
--
Daniel Jimenez <djimenez[at]pobox[dot]com>