[ltp] External Monitor revisited...

Carlo Hamalainen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 04:03:51 +0000

Daniel Jimenez wrote:

> 1- When I boot up with the laptop closed, the bios, grub, and
> everything show up on the external monitor (CRT) just fine. When the
> framebuffer kicks in both monitors are black unless I hit FN+f7 on my
> laptop. Pressing FN+F7 switches to my LCD and pressing it again does
> nothing.

On my T40 I had to add the extern_disp and intern_disp lines to my
XF86Config file. My Device section looks like this:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Videocard0"
  Driver "radeon"
  VendorName "Videocard vendor"
  BoardName "ATI Radeon Mobility M6"
  VideoRam 16384
  Option "extern_disp"
  Option "intern_disp"
EndSection

Then pressing Fn+F7 once or twice gets the external monitor
(specifically, a projector) to see things. Hope this helps.

-- Carlo