[ltp] Wireless card recommendation

Peter Theunis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:49:37 -0800

Vincent Touquet [vincent.touquet@pandora.be] wrote:
> Wouldn't it be possible to swap the IBM a/b/g one for the Intel
> WLAN ? I'm about to buy a T41p and I would really like as much as
> possible to have open source drivers.
>
> I guess its only a matter of replacing a mini-pci card, no ?
> In that case, I can try to ask the supplier to swap the mini pci
> cards ?

Hi,

I replaced the Intel centrino mini-pci in my T40 with the IBM a/b/g mini-pci.
The swap was trivial, just follow the instructions in the IBM maintenance manual:

Remove
1. battery
2. HD drive
3. keyboard, touchpad
4 palm rest
5. finally you can get to the mini-pci slot

Don't forget to order a screw kit, the screws are nylon-coated and you should use new screws everytime you screw/unscrew them.

I used driveloader when I had the Intel chip; it worked ok but i had random crashes and coming back from sleep would hang the 2.4.23-pac1 kernel i was using.
I'm now using the madwifi code (CVS)  and boy does it work well. Going to sleep and resuming work perfectly; very good performance and it's reliable.
All in all, i'm very happy i did the move.
As far as i can tell, today 11/03/04, the Intel centrino driver is experimental at best: no WEP support would be a no-go for me.

Hope this helps,

I'm a VIP at my local liquor store and I'm root. Fear me !