[ltp] Re: AC adapter too hot?

Andreas D. Landmark linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:36:44 +0100

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 03:32:25PM +0100, Manuel Carro wrote:

> >> I had the exact same problem: the adapter would get so hot that you couldn't
> >> really hold it in your hand. Also the adapter made high-pitched chirping
> >> noises when the laptop was using a lot of power (hdd activity, scrolling a
> >> webpage, etc.)
>
>     Chirping does not sound good, definitely --- it suggests to me
> that some components are causing sparks inside it.  I'll call IBM
> anyway, as I've just realized that the plastic cable cover is breaking
> in the point where it inserts in the adapter box.  Gosh, it is only
> one month old!

It's probably gone brittle from the heat ;-)

Trouble with the cable at the point where it goes into the adaptor is a
problem I've seen several times. It seems that the hard bend that the
cable is molded into does more damage than good.

--
Andreas D. Landmark / noXtension
If you think the United States has stood still, who built the largest