[ltp] T23 keyboard locks up occasionally

Carlo Hamalainen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:47:48 +0000

Julian Underwood wrote:

>Yes, I use gpm, at least I /think/ I do:
>
>ps -aux |grep gpm
>
>root      2933  0.0  0.0  2924  388 ?        S    01:24   0:00 gpm -m
>/dev/mouse -t ps/2
>
>If this is in fact the culprit, could you recommend a graceful way to
>remove gpm?

Use chkconfig to see which run levels you have gpm set to go:

[root@localhost root]# chkconfig --list gpm
gpm             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

And this so that it won't run at any run level:

[root@localhost root]# chkconfig --level 0123456 gpm off

And since it'll still be running on your box after the last command, you
can stop it with:

[root@localhost root]# /etc/init.d/gpm stop
Shutting down console mouse services:                      [  OK  ]

Or you could just do "rpm -e gpm" and get rid of it entirely.

Cheerio,

-- Carlo