[ltp] Re: Good FS for laptop

Chip Salzenberg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:46:07 -0500

According to Peter Theunis:
> Chip Salzenberg [chip@pobox.com] wrote:
> > Even laptops crash.  I'm using XFS but that was a mistake,
>
> Why is it a mistake?

Primarily because XFS *still* has not been cured of the bug that
"recovers" files that were open at crash time by overwriting them
with all NUL bytes.  The concepts of XFS are great but the actual
implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Secondarily because I've been unable to find any way to perform the
equivalent of an "fsck.ext3 -f /dev/root" without booting from
separate media.  XFS is unwilling to fsck a filesystem where there
are any open or mapped files, including the fsck binary itself.

Finally, laptop-specific hacks are never available for XFS, which
seems to have a mostly high-end user base.
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -               <chip@pobox.com>