[ltp] Re: So what _is_ advantage of 2.6 kernel on a Thinkpad?

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:29:32 -0500

I have to agree. Overall the 2.6 kernel is NOT as stable as a good
2.4.20+ with whatever patches you need.I've found a lot of problems, and
they get worse when you turn on preemption. Audio and Video playback,
despite the theoretical promise of better scheduling and preemption seem
to be MUCH inferior. I can't even get XMMS to play an mp3 without
breaking up every time there is the slightest activity on the desktop,
and thats on a very high-end workstation, on the A20p its worse. Even
just general compute-intensive stuff like compiling a kernel seems to be
significantly slower on 2.6, so much for all the vaunted efficiency
improvements. Maybe in 6 months or so they'll have 2.6 tweaked up to
where it starts to show some advantages over 2.4, and maybe it already
will for certain types of loads, but I think I'm going back to 2.4.x
series on the desktop for a while...

--
Tod Harter
Principal Developer