[ltp] ATTENTION T40/41/4*p OWNERS!

ben lamothe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:30:43 -0500

After an exaustive search of all forums and mailing lists i can think
of, I couldn't find any solution to the fan never shutting off in linux
problem, so I decided to give IBM a call to report a bug.  I just spoke
to IBM on the phone about the fan, assuming that there was some
proprietary daemon that controls the fan in windows, on how to get IBM
to release the specs so a similar daemon can be written for linux, or
better yet, for IBM to write a daemon themselves.  The guy on the phone
told me that all that he could do was note it, and if enough people call
in about the same problem, then they would issue a "re-call" and release
a fix.  So, the best way to get this thing fixed is for everyone
affected, and more, to call 1-800-IBM-SERV and select hardware services
support and report that the fan doesn't shut off in Linux.  If enough
people call in, then this problem will be fixed, so everyone please call
in.  Thanks alot.