[ltp] R40 centrino wireless *almost* working

Krishna Sethuraman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:05:51 -0800

Wireless under Linux won't associate with an AP, but seems to have all
other signs of life.  Can someone give me the right iwconfig commands
that they use to get it to associate with an AP such as Starbucks
T-mobile, or a 'hotspotzz' site?

I arrive at the (e.g.) Starbucks and:

modprobe ndiswrapper

iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
iwconfig wlan0 power all
iwconfig wlan0 essid any
iwconfig wlan0 ap any

at this point, iwconfig wlan0 then shows me an ESSID of the local AP
(tmobile, in this case), and Access Point displays 00:00:00:00:00:00.
This stays for about 5 seconds, then ESSID goes to "", and Access Point
goes to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.  It then stays at FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF until I
modprobe -r ndiswrapper and repeat the above procedure, at which point,
the the above results repeat.

iwlist wlan0 scan will show all the nearby hotspots, with all their
ESSIDs, no problem, so I know the card and driver are working fine to
receive all that information.  Under XP it can associate with the AP
and pull up the tmobile login web page.

I'd like copies of the following files when someone has wireless
working at a tmobile or hotspotzz AP so I can compare them to mine:
* any iwconfig commands executed
* contents of the files in /proc/net/ndiswrapper/wlan0
* output of iwlist wlan0 scan
* output of iwconfig wlan0
* copy of lilo.conf
* uname -a

And of course, if there's something obvious I'm missing, I'd appreciate
someone pointing it out.

Krishna Sethuraman
krishgoo@wapacut.com

P.S. Thinkpad R40 2897B4U 1.40GHz, Centrino wireless (PRO/Wireless 2100
B mini-pci).  Debian sarge,
ndiswrapper-0.5 compiled using kernel-headers-2.4.25-1-386 loading XP
'w70n51' v.1.2.11 drivers (from IBM's website?).  Running
kernel-image-2.4.25-1-386.

P.P.S. Xinerama works beautifully on this system.  I'm preparing this
system for my brother, and almost don't want to turn it over to him :-)