[ltp] T30 owners - Memory bank problems?

shadow.blue linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:05:42 +0000

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:52:54 +0900 (KST)
"Manho Kim" <nunkot1@naver.com> wrote:

> I have exactly same problem.
> I used T30(236681U) for about 1 and half year.
> Primary memory slot: 256MB default RAM
> 2nd memory slot    : 256MB RAM
> About one week ago, I recognized my system is very slow..
> I thought that my system was infected virus or something.
> Today, I found that I have only 256MB memory..
> I throughly tested RAM by switching slots.
> All of two RAM works fine in Primary memory slot.
> However, All of two RAM doesn't work on 2nd memory slot.
> I use my T30 for more than 15 hours per day because I have only one laptop.
> I might wait to send T30 to IBM service until summer vacation
>

> D. Sen wrote:
> > Just wondering if any of the T30 owners using both memory banks on their
> > system boards have noticed a problem. This is the third time in 1.5
> > years that one of the memory banks on my system board has stopped
> > functioning. The RAMS themselves are fine. I have two sims 512 MBytes
> > each. Each time, one of the banks stopped working and the system
> > recognized only 1 of the 512 MByte modules. You can only tell there is a
> > problem when weird problems start happening and you lose data.....typing
> > "free" shows only half the memory available.
> >
> > Wondering if its just me or there are others. Once every six
> > months....(this is my fourth new system-board) would seem to indicate
> > there others out there who have experienced the same problem?
> >
> > DS

I have had exactly the same problem, slot 1 stopped working 2 weeks ago,
all of a sudden...

I tried everything, but it didn`t seem to work.
I contacted IBM, send the laptop in, and 6 days later i got the laptop back
with a new board on it, now everything works as it did before the problem.

My advice, if you get this kind of problem, send it in. The board is damaged.

-greets,
shad