[ltp] Buying a T41p

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 00:08:13 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> I probably won't be needing 3D acceleration much, so I'd happily
> trade it for the ability to suspend.

Then there is no strong reason for the T41p - you can get the T41 with
the high resolution display. (the big battery can be an accessory)

> So is there no difference in terms of
> support between the two wireless cards I can get?

ibm a/b works verywell for me with madwifi drivers. (2.4 kernel)

> What is the difference between cpufreqd and powernowd?

Add cpudyn to this list. This one says - you either want the laptop to
be in the power save mode (lowest freq) - or performance mode (highest
freq) - and not bother with other intermediate stages. And transitions
are pretty fast - based on the cpu load.

> What are these "Express Savers"?  I can't see any mention of them on the
> IBM site.

Some T40/T41 models (on IBM US website) - not the T41p models.

BTW: my setup is a T40 (ATI-9000/IBM-AB) with Fedora Core1 (stock
kernel) with APM/cpudyn. I don't care about hybernation..

Satish