[ltp] Aironet Wireless on T40

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:49:01 -0500

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:33:18AM -0500, Joel Ebel wrote:
> The MPI350 support is only in 2.6.3-rc1 and later.  It's not in 2.4.25,
> however, there is a patch available to add it to 2.5.25.

And as of 2.6.4 or so, the MPI350 support does not work particularly
well.....  it works fine fresh after a reboot, but after a (APM)
suspend, something isn't getting reinitialized particularly well, and
the aironet card doesn't work at all.  Also, because the airo driver
is integrated into airo.c, when you try to plug in an Aironet 350
PCMCIA card, both the MPI and PCMICA interfaces show up, with the MPI
showing up as eth1 and the PCMICA card showing up as eth2, thus
doubling the current draw on your battery.

If you fire up the cisco's ACU program, you can power down the MPI
card, but apparently the "ifconfig eth1 down" program does not
powerdown the MPI card.  This is true in both 2.6.4 and in 2.6.5-rc3,
which I've only recently started testing (and which seems to have some
random lockups that were not present in 2.6.4; in particular, if the
Bluetooth USB driver has been enabled during that particular boot
session, and you suspend, the system will lock up when you try to
resume).

						- Ted