[ltp] Power and graphics on T41p

Cameron McCormack linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 2 May 2004 22:54:59 +1000

Hi Calvin.

Calvin:
> I'm a T40p owner, but I had almost the same problems as you have, so
> here is what I found to work them out :
>
> When I was using the ATI's fglrx module, I had the same "garbled screen"
> problem, and I couldn't fix it, so I went back to the radeon module,
> which works actually quite well. But a few days ago I read somewhere
> that it may be the radeonfb framebuffer driver that's messing things up.
> I'm now using the vesafb framebuffer driver, with vga=835 in my
> lilo.conf file (for 1400x1050 in 24bits color depth), but I haven't
> switched back to fglrx module yet.

Yeah I found this afternoon when I turned the console framebuffer off
this helped X.  Though I don't use the console often, I might try
vesafb.

> For power management, it depends on what you're using between ACPI and
> APM. I first used ACPI, because I thought it would work better as it is
> more recent than APM. I could get it to suspend properly by typing "echo
> 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep", but it sometimes went wrong when resuming.
> Hibernation didn't work at all though, displaying a lot of "Call trace"
> lines and ending up by freezing the system sometimes.
>
> Then I read this page, which is one of the best I've seen :
> http://mike2k.de/t40.html. I think you should take a look at it !

Thanks for that, looks useful!

> I know only use APM for power management, and suspend/hibernation works
> perfectly. I only miss ACPI for giving me the CPU temperature and some
> detailed info about the battery status.

Yeah, it would be nice if ACPI worked. :/

> The above link also details how to set up your USB mouse / Trackpoint
> for being able to use both of them, and it is also working very well for
> me.

He doesn't seem to have a solution for if I leave the mouse plugged in
at boot time.  I guess I'll just have to remember to leave it unplugged.
-_-

> I hope this will help you !

Yes, thanks.  I will give the DRI driver from dri.sf.net a try.

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack