[ltp] Re: Temperature issue on a T41p

Wazow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 May 2004 15:05:59 +0200

Wolfgang Rether <Wolfgang.Rether@web.de> writes:

> I wonder if there are really 95 degrees which would be really critical
> or if this a problem of the monitoring hard- oder software.

I actually have seen the same on my oldish R30, when running bigger
compilations or computations. I have not seen the actual temperature,
but the machine is very hot and plainly shuts down (abruptly, no clean
shutdown). It helps to lift the notebook (I have put it on some
lego-like bricks). If lifted the machine does not overhit that much, but
this is annoying. Finally I figured out that if I force it (in BIOS) to
run on minimum speed (700Mhz) it never overheats. So this is what I
do. Now all my gentoo upgrades compile smoothly, but it is annoying that
I am loosing like 30% computational power, so if anybody knows the
solution to the problem...

Andrzej