[ltp] Does APM still work on 2.6?

Crispin Cowan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 May 2004 16:30:52 -0700

Aaron Mulder wrote:

>	I'm running a 2.4 kernel on my T40, with APM, and it works fine --
>suspend, resume, the lid, the function keys, I've even heard hibernate
>works fine though I don't use it myself.  About the only complaint I have
>is that I have to rmmod ehci-hcd before using USB devices after a resume.

That's interesting. I've observed that my hotplug USB works great (SuSE
9.1, Linux 2.6) brings up a Konq view of the USB device. Unless the
machine has been asleep, in which case plugging in any USB device
produces a hard lockup.

I'll try removing ehci_hcd next time I do a sleep/resume and see if it
locks.

>	On the list lately there's been a lot of fuss about ACPI, which I
>can best distill as: "you might be able to get it to work if you patch
>your kernel and stuff but even then it sucks battery while suspended".

Stock SuSE 9.1 Pro (Linux 2.6.4-52-default) worked out of the box.
Battery life WRT computation is excellent; the powerscaling is
definitely running. Battery life while sleeping definitely sucks, it
burns between 6% and 10% per *hour* while suspended to RAM. Suspend to
disk does not work.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/