[ltp] R50 under Debian : bios update possible ? + recovery cd's question

Christoph Singer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 May 2004 12:45:19 +0200

On 13.05.2004 15:10, Didrik Pinte wrote:
> Subsequent question : as I do not have any predesktop area, I asked the
> recory cd's to IBM... It seems that recovery cd's does repartition all
> the disk and not only offer the ability to reinstall XP on specific
> partition. Am I right ?

I recently reinstalled XP from the recovery cd's and was prepared to
find the whole disk repartitioned - but that wasn't the case. The
recovery program only reformatted the first partition (Drive C: in
windows) and didn't touch my Linux partitions (I have a swap partition
in hda2 and the root partition in hda3).
So I think, if you left hda1 as a FAT32 partition for Windows, the
recovery program will not touch other partitions (at least it didn't on
my R40).
But you can't tell the recovery program to install Windows into another
partition than hda1.

Christoph