[ltp] R40 - problems with double boot

Szakacsits Szabolcs linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 May 2004 15:10:54 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Atwood, Robert C wrote:

> I was thinking of the warning in the kernel configuration menu (write
> support for ntfs -- DANGEROUS)
>
> (using 2-4-26)

Yes, this is the driver what nobody should use. Not even for reading.

Most Linux vendor patch/pathed their 2.4 kernels for over a year with the
backport of the new driver included in 2.6 kernels.

> Is this warning/instruction not current?

Well, nobody really cares what's written there for years, that's the
obsolete driver. Over the last years, the only major improvement to this
driver was that Anton Altaparmakov (who wrote the new driver from scratch)
disabled writes support completely for W2K, XP, etc in that driver:
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html

     Szaka