[ltp] R40 - problems with double boot

Atwood, Robert C linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 May 2004 15:52:01 +0100

That is useful information, thanks, should I require to use ntfs from
linux. I guess because I decided not to do so before, I haven't followed
the developments in this area that are not included in the basic kernel
options.=20

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
[mailto:linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org] On Behalf Of Szakacsits
Szabolcs
Sent: 19 May 2004 14:11
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: RE: [ltp] R40 - problems with double boot

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Atwood, Robert C wrote:

> I was thinking of the warning in the kernel configuration menu (write=20
> support for ntfs -- DANGEROUS)
>=20
> (using 2-4-26)

Yes, this is the driver what nobody should use. Not even for reading.=20

Most Linux vendor patch/pathed their 2.4 kernels for over a year with
the backport of the new driver included in 2.6 kernels.

> Is this warning/instruction not current?

Well, nobody really cares what's written there for years, that's the
obsolete driver. Over the last years, the only major improvement to this
driver was that Anton Altaparmakov (who wrote the new driver from
scratch) disabled writes support completely for W2K, XP, etc in that
driver: http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html

     Szaka

--=20